How To Increase Sales on Amazon
- How to increase sales on Amazon: 1) Build a well-optimized listing with great benefit driven imagery, compelling sales copy & benefit rich enhanced brand content. 2) Focus on Amazon SEO to appear ahead of competitors and at the top of product searches. 3) Regularly improve your ad targeting to be laser-focused on the customers with intent to buy. 4) Drive as much OFF Amazon traffic to your product listings as possible.
- How to increase Amazon sales while not spending more on ads: Improve your ON Amazon AND your OFF Amazon presence. If you’re only focusing on building your brand ON Amazon, you’re paying too much for Amazon ads and also not showing as high in Amazon Product Search Results as you could be.
- You WILL increase Amazon sales quickly & easily by focusing on the ON AMAZON and OFF AMAZON strategies you read here.
Selling on Amazon is like hand to hand combat. Saying it’s tough is an understatement of an understatement.
I’ve been selling on Amazon myself & working with clients through Amazon Consulting for 10+ years and if one thing is for sure, getting your initial footing is one thing, but increasing sales on Amazon and building that consistent sales velocity is a whole other story.
That’s why I put together this in-depth guide of action items you can use TODAY to increase sales on Amazon quickly whether you’re an Amazon Seller Central seller, Amazon Vendor Central seller or selling Amazon B2B.
Increase Amazon Sales With: AMAZON SEO – Amazon Search Engine Optimization
We all want more traffic from Amazon product searches right? I think we can agree that as an Amazon seller it’s the dream for this sequence to happen:
How Amazon SEO Increases Amazon Sales:
- The customer arrives on Amazon and types in “what your product does” into Amazon’s search bar.
- Your product shows up in at the top of the search results
- The customer clicks on your product.
- The customer likes what they see on your listing and buys your product.
Amazon SEO is the tactic of optimizing your Amazon seller account and product listings to be visible in Amazon’s a9 search algorithm. In other words, getting found at the top of Amazon product search results with the goal of increasing sales on Amazon. It’s also a great way to reduce your ACoS on Amazon ads, by getting FREE traffic.
How do you do this?
Well there are 25 factors that I go in depth about in Amazon SEO: Everything You Need To Know [INFOGRAPHIC] from the perspective of an Amazon SEO Consultant but here is the rundown:
How To Do Amazon SEO:
- Identify what keywords customers are using to find your products.
- Use them in your product title, main bullet points, A+ content and long description.
- NOTE: There is no benefit to using them more than once.
- Optimize your listings with great imagery and sales copy that makes your customers want to buy (THIS IS AN ART) so your customers actually buy because if they continually visit your listing and NOT buy, then Amazon will shove your listing farther and farther down the product search results.
- Make sure you are getting lots of reviews and consistently. You don’t want them coming in waves, Amazon looks for consistency here. Get systems in place to get reviews on the regular.
- If you’re an Amazon Seller Central Seller, make sure you are getting positive Seller Feedback.
- Make sure you have a Good Amazon Sales Rank.
Increase Amazon Sales With: Amazon Advertising
The intention here is to make sure you have steady, interested traffic coming to your Amazon product listings so they BUY which keeps your Amazon Sales Rank up which in turns will help your Amazon SEO which we just talked about.
AMS is a pay per performance/pay per click advertising platform similar to Google’s Ads or Facebook Advertising.
There are 3 ways to advertise on AMS.
1: Amazon Sponsored Product Ads
Amazon Sponsored Product Ads are pay per click product placement listings at the top and within search results that appear to blend into normal search results.
They have an indicator of Sponsored but are intended to appear as organic product search results.
Where do Sponsored Product Ads appear?:
- Below search results
- On product detail pages
- Above, alongside and below search results
- On product detail pages
Amazon Sponsored Product Ads are typically the best converting because customers are at the end of their customer journey and buying cycle which means:
- They’ve done their product research
- Selected a product
- Are ready to buy
2: Amazon Headline Search Ads
Amazon headline Search Ads are keyword selected ads that appear at the top of Amazon product searches.
Qualifications to run Amazon Headline Ads are:
- Have at least 3 products
- Be registered in Amazon Brand Registry
You can send Amazon Headline ad traffic to:
- An AMS brand page
- A best-selling product
- A custom URL (made of three parent products)
These are top of funnel type ads to build brand and product awareness because the types of potential customers that click on these ads aren’t necessarily ready to buy, more so they are looking to discover and learn more about products.
3: Amazon Product Display Ads
Amazon product display ads are interest or product targeted ads that appear on your or your competitors’ product listings.
Increase Amazon Sales With: Keyword Research
Organic keywords are a stark contrast from PPC.
Keywords are used to attract FREE traffic through SEO.
In order to increase sales on Amazon, you should establish a strong keyword strategy to make sure your products are found, long-term, for the keywords your customers are using to BUY your products.
Thinking about what your customers are typing into the Amazon product search bar is where you want to start.
How To Do Amazon Keyword Research:
- Think about search terms you would type in as a customer when you want to buy something
- They likely aren’t generic, they will be very specific. “Universal Waterproof Boat Cover With Support Poles For 18 Foot Boat” rather than “Boat Cover”
- Research what search terms/keywords are sending traffic to your website with Google Search Console.
- Look at Google Trends to identify new keyword ideas based around the product you are selling.
- Research keywords people are using to describe your product on Reddit, Quora, Pinterest & more. Then use those words in your product listing.
- Look at your competitors’ listings and identify what keywords they are focusing on.
- Look through product reviews and questions and answers sections of your product as well as competitors to see what people call your product.
- Use a free tool like Ubersuggest to get keyword ideas to incorporate into your listing.
Did you know that Amazon also actually GIVES YOU the keywords and some suggestions themselves? Check this out:
See that? You’ve typed in the main keywords for your product, in this case, a “Oneplus 5T case” and Amazon has shown you “suggestions” on what else to search for.
See the power in those suggestions? They’re keywords that your customers themselves are using to find your product!
If you want to increase sales on Amazon, definitely don’t leave this low hanging fruit on the vine. Take what they give you.
Increase Amazon Sales With: Referral Traffic
Did you know that Amazon keeps track of everyone you send from OFF Amazon, onto Amazon, to your product listings?
Then, they use that to determine the demand for your product.
Then, they use THAT to determine how prominently they should display your product in Amazon product searches.
A great way to increase sales on Amazon while also improving your Amazon SEO is to send as many people as possible TO your Amazon listings from OFF of Amazon. If you’re interested in the 25 factors that Amazon uses for Amazon SEO, I’ve made it super easy to read, digest & take action on here: Amazon SEO Everything You Need To Know
So, what are some great sources of Amazon Referral Traffic?
- Social Media:
- It goes without saying that you should be telling your social media following about your great Amazon products 10% of the time as a part of your social media strategy, but did you know you can run social media ads to your Amazon listings?
- Social Media Ads:
- Well, you can, but you shouldn’t!
- INSTEAD, you should send them to a landing page on your website, collect their info, THEN send them to your Amazon listing.
- This enables you to capture their email, remarket to them later, etc.
- You can’t place Google Tags, Facebook Pixels or Pinterest Tags on Amazon listings.
- This enables you to capture their email, remarket to them later, etc.
- Speaking of capturing their email, the size of your email list will directly relate to how well you’re able to increase sales on Amazon.
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world. That makes it a great place to promote your Amazon products to increase Amazon sales.
Did you know that Amazon also tracks Time on Page, Bounce Rate and something called Amazon Exit Rate?
What does that mean for you?
Well, you’ve got some great tactics now to send people to Amazon, but you better make sure that they don’t leave your listing immediately and definitely not exit Amazon.
Amazon uses your conversion rates, the time a visitor spends on your Amazon listing, their bounce rate and if they leave Amazon all together to determine how visible your products should be in Amazon product search results.
The good news?
Increase Amazon Sales With: Amazon Listing Optimization
Amazons a9 algorithm is how Amazon decides to show products in Amazon product search results.
Keeping it simple, it boils down to forecasting future sales.
You can think about it like this:
“If I (Amazon) show this product to you (the customer) when you search using this query (keyword), will it result in you (the customer) clicking on the product and buying.”
If Amazon can predict that your product will sell, it will show it to customers. It’s that simple.
There are 25 factors taken into account. 19 On Listing Factors and 6 Seller Account Factors. Learn more here: Amazon SEO Everything You Need To Know
This is where Amazon Listing Optimization comes into play.
How to Increase Sales on Amazon with Amazon Listing Optimization:
As I mentioned, there are 25 factors total, but for the crash course in Amazon Listing Optimization, you will want to focus on these elements:
- Keywords: Make sure you include keywords that folks are actually searching for with buyer intent.
- Product Title: Besides adding keywords to your title, you will want to make sure it is benefit driven and focuses on highlighting how it solves the customers pain point.
- Images: More on this later, but 6 is your magic number.
- Bullet Points: Structure your bullet points to focus on the main benefits first and then focus on limiting buyer risk.
- Product Description: Delve deeper into features, specifications & more benefits.
- Reviews: Quantity and quality is the key here. Customers won’t even click on your listings and give you a chance without enough reviews. We’ll delve into this more.
- Enhanced Branded Content: Partaking in Brand Registry on Amazon is important for many reasons, but Enhanced Branded Content is one of them. This allows you to build something resembling a landing page to showcase your product and help increase sales on Amazon.
Still, the first step in increasing Amazon sales is getting potential customers to click on your listings.
Increase Amazon Sales With: Amazon Reviews
I don’t need to convince you that getting Amazon reviews will help you increase sales on Amazon.
We all shop on Amazon and know it is one of the main purchasing decision factors.
BUT, did you know there are 2 types of reviews that you need to get on Amazon to increase the visibility of your product in search engines which in turn will increase your Amazon sales?
There are product reviews AND seller reviews.
You’re after both.
In my experience, the following are some of the best tactics I’ve been able to use to get Amazon reviews, both Seller & Product:
How to Get Amazon Reviews to Increase Sales on Amazon:
- Product Inserts: While you can’t ask for a postive review or direct customers away from Amazon, you CAN ask for an honest review. Product inserts are one of the most effective ways to get seller & product feedback while also building a relationship with your customer and limiting buyer remorse.
- Email Follow Up Software: If you’re a Seller Central Seller, then you’re in luck. True, Amazon doesn’t give you access to the emails of the customers who buy from you, but you can still email them asking for Seller Feedback and Product Feedback through 3rd party software. I prefer to use: Jump Send.
- Packaging: You probably weren’t expecting to see this one here but it’s been tested over the years. When you have cheap, no frills packaging (I’m not talking about an elegant, minimalist design like Google or Apple) you get less product reviews and seller feedback. Why? Buyer Remorse. Customers relate poor packaging to a lesser value brand, which in turn, a lesser value product experience. Thus, less worthy of a review, more so, more worthy of a negative review if warranted.
- Product Quality: Honestly, this one I know is a no brainer but it goes without saying your product needs to inspire a review as well as their experience with you as a company.
If you’re interested in all of the tactics I recommend for getting Amazon reviews, you’re in luck, give this a read when you’re done here: How To Get Reviews on Amazon Quickly & Easily
Increase Amazon Sales With: Amazon Product Images
I noted above that your magic number is 6 for product images in terms of quantity.
This is for Amazon SEO but also, you need enough images to be able to accomplish the following:
How To Increase Amazon Sales With Product Imagery:
- Highlight Benefits: While showing your products from the most important angles, you will also want to key in on important benefits to the customer.
- Answer Questions: This often gets overlooked, but if your products often get particular questions, or you see competitor products getting certain questions on their listings, focus on them with product images so it is obvious to the customer.
- Objection Handle: A picture is worth a thousand words and a thousand words is a lot of objection handling and selling! If you know you need to overcome certain obstacles to sell your product, take care of those in the imagery.
- Show Emotion: Getting lifestyle images (pictures of the real world use of your product, not set against a white background) are paramount to increase sales on Amazon, but if you want to level that up even farther, get images of people using your products and showcasing the emotion of them using it, overcoming their pain point or problem.
Increase Amazon Sales With: Amazon Promotions
Consistently increasing your Amazon Sales Rank through use of Promotions is a great way to increase your visibility in Amazon product searches, which in turn helps you increase sales on Amazon.
Promotions work best when distributed to an existing audience such as an email list, blog, YouTube or social media following.
Additionally, Amazon has opened an Outlet Deals marketplace just for deals, similar to Jungle Market or VIPON where sellers can offer deep discounts of 50% or more to increase sales velocity and keep a good BSR.
From where I sit, the following promotion methods are tried and true:
How to Increase Sales on Amazon with Promotions:
- Money off Promotion
- This works by a dollar off amount or percentage off amount and can be claimed by:
- Claim Codes
- This works by a dollar off amount or percentage off amount and can be claimed by:
- Free Shipping
- Amazon sales increase with this option too. You can set specific conditions so that the buyer is eligible for the options.
- Buy 3 product or spend $40 or more for free shipping. Don’t forget to add a nice note to reach out if they’re unhappy before giving a review
- Best deal promotions: it appears on “Today’s Deals” and can run for up to two weeks.
- Feature your entire catalog as discounts. Clients will click on the offering and then they’ll be directed to all of your offered discounts within the Best deal.
- Allows additional visibility on “Today’s Deals” and you can use the Amazon Marketing Services campaign to maximize your visibility on SERPs.
- Lightning deals are available in Vendor Central and Seller Central platforms.
- It offers 6 hours of a promotion of 20% or more. It gives the most visibility on the “Today’s Deals” page.
- Coupon Landing Page (CLP):
- CLP’s are great for off-site marketing campaigns.
- Use on social media or in emails
- Drives more traffic to your page.
Increase Amazon Sales With: Amazon Influencers
I’ve saved the best for last.
Did you know that Amazon Influencers have been around since 1996 and there are over 1 MILLION websites, blogs, YouTube channels and more ALREADY referring sales to Amazon every day and getting a percentage of every sale?
SimilarWeb found that 22% of all Amazon traffic comes from its affiliate program! That’s A LOT.
Amazon’s affiliate program is called the Amazon Associates Program and is by far the biggest affiliate program on the internet.
These affiliates are in YOUR niche and ALREADY referring products right now. May as well refer yours to help you increase sales on Amazon.
What Amazon Sellers Need to Know About Amazon Influencers / Affiliates:
- Over 1 million active participants and growing
- You don’t have to sign up or configure anything on your end, just sell on Amazon
- The payouts COME FROM AMAZON and are NOT taken out of your revenue. (THAT’S AMAZING)
- People have already probably referred your products and collected commission and you didn’t even know
- Amazon Associates (Affiliates) get the links to your products themselves and it’s super easy. You don’t send them anything.
You see the power in that right? You don’t have to do anything except build relationships with them.
There are no plugins to configure, settings to set up, nothing.
Why Is It So Important to Send Traffic from Off Amazon onto Amazon?
- Amazon is placing a greater focus on OFF Amazon traffic
- Amazon SEO is greatly improved by sending traffic to your product listings
- There’s only so much ad real estate to go around ON Amazon
So how do you get on this gravy train?
How to Get Amazon Affiliates to Promote Your Products:
- Identify bloggers, YouTubers and other websites that would be a good fit to promote your products.
- Reach out to them, offer them a free product for themselves to try and also one for them to give away.
- Offer them a coupon code for a % off for their readers/viewers.
Increasing Sales on Amazon: Piecing It All Together:
Truth is, increasing sales on Amazon doesn’t come from one tactic, rather a combination of many.
Everyone’s situation will be different in terms of budget, margins & product selection but I’ve found you want to increase sales on Amazon, you want to make sure you start with your on listing optimization as that’s where you convert a customer and work outward.
Don’t bother sending a lot of people to an Amazon Product Listing that isn’t optimized for conversions otherwise you’re just throwing bad money after good.
If you need help with anything you’ve read here, I’m happy to make things quicker & easier for you.
Having great products and not selling is agonizing. Dominating competitors and selling through inventory is intensely gratifying.