4 Tips On How To Increase Sales on Amazon Today
First thing’s first, the title is a little deceiving. It says 4 Tips, but really there are like 25 in here and this article is incredibly in-depth and packed with actionable best practices you can use right now. So yes, they are rolled into 4 categories but get your notepads out. Let’s do this.
What You Will Learn From reading: 4 Tips On How To Increase Sales on Amazon Today
- The importance of reviews and how to get reviews
- Amazon SEO (Amazon Search Engine Optimization)
- Amazon Advertising… how it works, what to do
- How to compete on price
As the largest eCommerce storefront, to date, Amazon contains a whole world full of sales potential. Amazon drives mass traffic to product listings every second, and even better, drives people with a ready-to-buy mindset.
While ranking your product on Google may attract researchers and browsers, Amazon attracts buyers.
With all this potential for sales, you might be wondering why yours is falling short. Check out these 4 tips on how to increase your sales on Amazon today.
1. Get Reviews
If you want to improve Amazon Sales, online reviews are the modern world of mouth. According to Forbes “88 percent of consumers trust online reviews as much as a personal recommendation”.
With an online era where vendors are no longer a smile in a storefront but a name on a webpage, the trust of a potential customer can be hard to get. This is why online reviews are everything.
Up until October of 2016, one good tactic was incentivized reviews. Vendors would provide free or discounted products to Amazon users in return for “unbiased” reviews.
This was an awesome way to gain a lot of reviews in a short amount of time. Although this tactic was put to a halt when Amazon announced that it would no longer allow this.
How do we get more reviews now? Without incentivized reviews, we now have to be more diligent & creative in asking our customers to leave reviews.
One easy way to do this is with:
Leave a note to your customer inside your product explaining how important reviews are for your small company and where to leave them.
PLUS, you don’t want to just increase reviews on Amazon, you want to increase SALES on Amazon right? So you want a good way to prevent & limit negative feedback. Product inserts are a great way to do this.
Your product insert should fit inside your packaging and should STAND OUT. The idea here is for people to read them and take action on them and not throw them away.
Make sure your product insert:
- Is branded
- Clearly asks for an honest review (REMEMBER – You cannot ask for a positive review or incentivize a positive review)
- Tells the customer if they have any questions or concerns, to contact you directly through Amazon. (This cuts your negative review off at the pass and they usually contact you through Amazon directly instead of leaving a negative review. You remind the customer that you’ll bend over backward to make them happy and they usually attempt to contact you before blasting you with a negative review)
- Requests SELLER feedback. Most people forget about this. Increasing sales on Amazon involves increasing or improving your Seller Rating. Don’t forget to ask for honest feedback!
- Lets the customer know to follow you on social media, partake in a hashtag conversation or somehow encourages the customer to promote your product on social media.
A good Amazon Consultant will tell you that another way to generate reviews is to:
USE AN AUTOMATED EMAIL FOLLOW UP SERVICE.
Many of these email follow up platforms will send an email thanking your customer for their order at the time of purchase. After they receive the order, a second email can be sent making sure they received it and giving contact information for questions.
You can then automate an additional email a couple of DAYS down the road asking for a review of your product.
Be careful that these automated emails not to bombard your customer or sound spammy. Don’t be scared to crack a joke and come across as a fun or silly.
Doing this will make you appear more like a human and less like an automated response.
A few more bonus tips:
- Ask for an honest review after they’ve had time to try the product. It will be fresh in their minds and they most likely will take action on doing the review.
- REMEMBER: The name of the game here is removing friction to the review. People are busy and it’s hard to get people to do things. Make it easy on them, link right to the review page in your follow up sequence.
- Be helpful, offer a follow-up sequence of 2 or 3 emails that gives the customer tips & tricks on how to use your product. Remind them in those emails to leave you honest feedback.
- Remember up above when I said to remind customers that if they have any concerns or questions to contact you directly through Amazon customer service? Well if you want to improve or increase sales on Amazon, you’re going to have to do everything you can to avoid negative reviews, ethically of course.
- The follow-up sequence emails are essentially electronic and prolonged product inserts. Everything that goes for a product insert, goes double for follow up emails. Make sure you are encouraging your customers to partake in whatever social media campaigns you are running to promote your product or service. Hashtags, sending in images of them using the product, you name it. Tons of creative ideas out there. Increasing sales on Amazon does not happen for the lazy.
2. Improve your Amazon SEO
Amazon SEO stands for Amazon Search Engine Optimization.
For the uninitiated, believe it or not, you CAN control how high (or low) your product appears in Amazon product search results.
It’s funny, I hear clients sometimes say “Amazon just shows the products they want to show.” and then when you tell them the factors that contribute to Amazons product search results and how YOU CAN CONTROL IT it breaks their brains, they start to sweat and become overjoyed.
Although most people will think of Google when they hear SEO, it is crucial to optimize your Amazon listing as well. This will lead to higher rankings on Amazon, resulting in more views from search queries, ultimately increasing your sales on Amazon.
You are able to put this together right?
- If you get seen more on Amazon, more people will click on your listing and more people will buy from you.
- If more people are clicking on your listing and more people are buying from you, Amazon takes this as a sign that your product adds value to their customers, in turn, Amazon will show you higher in product search results. It’s an incredibly lucrative cycle.
So, what are the nuts and bolts of Amazon SEO and how does it increase sales on Amazon?
- The beginning of optimizing any listing starts with thorough keyword research.
A good and FREE tool to use is Google Adwords.(UPDATE: Google AdWords, for a lack of a better term, SUCKS now. It does not give accurate data, rather gives ranges unless you’re spending a lot of money on Google Ads, which this is an Amazon article that you’re reading so most likely you’re interested in running AMAZON ADS. Use Uber Suggest instead. It’s free, accurrate and easy to understand even for people new to keyword research.)
- Once you have a good list of highly searched key terms you can start optimizing your Amazon listing.
- Use these key terms while writing your product title, bullet points (features), description and for entering into the Amazon keyword field.
Optimizing your product images is also crucial in Amazon SEO. Images are huge in generating initial customer interest in your product over your competitors’ products. They also greatly weigh in on the shopper’s purchasing decision once they are on your product listing.
Make sure that your images are at least 1,000 pixels or larger in height or width to enable the zoom function. This function has been proven to enhance sales.
For more on Amazon SEO, check out 5 Winning Strategies To Use For Amazon SEO.
There are other factors in Amazon SEO too by the way.
Amazon basically is attempting to identify if your product provides value to the customer right? Yep.
So, some other factors that influence how high or low your products show up in Amazon product search results are:
- BSR (Best Seller Rank)
- NUMBER of product images you have
- Click through rate (people clicking through to your listing when searhing a given term)
- Conversion Rate (number of people who went to your product listing / people who actually bought)
You’re probably able to put together getting found in Amazon product search results isn’t enough to help you increase sales on Amazon, there is a thing called Amazon Conversion Rate Optimization which helps transform your Amazon product listing into something irresistible to customers that will make them convert into purchases after visiting your listing. It even helps with product titles, helping craft amazing product titles that people want to click on.
3. Start Advertising
(NOTE: I just mentioned Amazon Conversion Rate Optimization in the section above this, but it’s worth repeating. You aren’t ready for this step until you have crafted a product listing that CONVERTS CUSTOMERS. Increasing sales on Amazon is a science. Period. You want to make sure your sales copy, product imagery & much more is on point before you start throwing advertising money at the listing.)
If you are just starting out and notice that your products are not yet ranking on Amazon, advertising is a good way to get them in front of more consumers quickly to increase sales.
Amazon Sponsored Products allows your product to be displayed under the search terms of your choice. You choose which key terms you want your product shown under and place a bid dollar amount down. If your bid wins over other vendors when your search term is used, your product will display and you will be charged when a shopper clicks on it.
This is a great way to get your product in front of a new audience before it has started ranking organically on Amazon. It is also good to keep track of which terms lead to higher conversions and should be included in your Amazon SEO.
Speaking of Amazon SEO, I mentioned above that one of the factors that helped your product show up higher in Amazon product search results was BSR yeah?
Well, BSR is just a measure of how you rank out of the other products in that product category & subcategories in terms of sales velocity. Steady & high sales velocity = higher product rankings in Amazon’s product search results. One way to bump & keep your sales velocity up there is with advertising.
I can’t stress this enough, it’s one thing to run a few promotions or coupons once in awhile, but CONSISTENCY is the name of the game and what Amazon looks for when measuring if your product provides value.
4. Compete On Your Price
It’s 2 am, you’re sitting here glaring at your Amazon analytics and wracking your brain. You can’t figure it out.
If you notice that you have reviews, your Amazon SEO is up to par, and you have even tried advertising, you may need to start looking at your price.
One of the key differentiators separating one merchant from another is price. Today’s consumers are much more tech savvy and detail oriented than ever. And with over 368 million products listed on Amazon competition for price is fierce.
There is good news about this though. As you lower your price and you increase sales on Amazon , Amazon recognizes your higher conversion. This will lead to better rankings and more visibility by the consumer, ultimately leading to even more sales.
Competing on price can be challenging. Let’s face it, you have your competetive landscape to consider, what are your direct & indirect competitors selling for, what are your COGS, you are looking at break even analysis & saying to yourself, this changes on the fly, what do I do?
Well, there are pricing software options out there that can automatically adjust your price based on parameters that you give it, but most of them are pretty complex.
The moral of the story is to monitor your competitors pricing and verify that you’re in the right ballpark. There are lots of tips & tricks for eyeball tests too, such as .95’s .97’s, .99’s, etc. and when to use each!
Need more help increasing your Amazon sales? We make it easy to leverage your existing resources. Check us out: Amazon Consultant
I’m told that we’re fun to work with!
Want even MORE tips and up for a couple more minutes of improvement? We have another article that is a continuation of this article here: How To Increase Sales on Amazon